Created to share experiences, helpful parenting hints, and a laugh if nothing else... hope you like!

A blog created to document the life of my sweet little family.

Thursday 29 March 2012

Night wake ups! Arggghhhhh!

So its been a busy couple of weeks...

The little one is still coughing, as am I... but as far as illnesses go, that one was not too bad, just tiring, happening to 3 out of 4 of us at the same time!  

Apologies that I haven't really had the time to write.

I thought I would share with you the night before last.  A normal bed time by our standards... dinner, pyjamas, teeth and toilet, an episode of Peppa Pig, and into bed for a book with Mum or Dad before blowing the lights out.

I took the opportunity to get an early night after a busy weekend... Dad had worked late one night and had a bucks party the next, so I hadn't really had any down time.

At about 3am H woke... I toileted her (as she no longer wears a nappy), but she had great difficulty in getting back to sleep (very unusual).  We are in a routine where she goes back to sleep by herself... but for some reason this night she couldn't.  I was getting increasingly frustrated as I was so desperately tired.   After an hour of her Dad and I getting up and down, up and down to a pretty upset little girl, I changed my tactics, from being annoyed (which I felt rather guilty about the following day) and turned it into a positive thing.  

We have been have quite a degree of success with sticker charts, so while we cuddled I suggested that the next morning we make a sticker chart together.  If she could go back to sleep without calling out and getting so upset for the rest of the night, she could have a sticker in the morning.  It worked perfectly, I left her room and didn't need to return until she woke later that morning!  

That morning we drew a caterpillar... she helped, drawing the face and two legs on each segment of its body, and we stuck our first sticker on (thanks Sal!).  
With each of our sticker charts we work toward something... a ride on a miniature train, a trip to the zoo...  They are all very achievable!

What we are working towards on this one is a biggie!  Baby O will soon move out of our bedroom into her own and we gave H the opportunity to share her bedroom.  H jumped at this chance... I said that she wont be ready to share with her sister until she can go back to sleep without any fuss.   

So far it seems to be working.


Fingers crossed!


No comments:

Post a Comment