Created to share experiences, helpful parenting hints, and a laugh if nothing else... hope you like!

A blog created to document the life of my sweet little family.

Thursday 12 January 2012

Encouraging solitary play...

So we are going through this patch where we want to be playing with Mum or Dad all the time.  I find it all a bit exhausting.  
Rather than amuse herself H sits on the couch next to me while I breast feed.  
I am always suggesting games for her to play by herself whilst I potter around the house making beds, doing dishes etc.  

This morning I tried something a little different.  I said I wanted her to play by herself until I had finished a cup of coffee... then I would play with her... I thought that length of time was familiar and achievable to her.  
To begin with she kind of just sat around waiting for me to finish my coffee... then she moved to the Duplo (http://duplo.lego.com/en-us/Default.aspx) and began to play by herself.  

As promised, as soon as I had finished my cuppa, I sat down and had a game with her.  That was until she decided she wanted to sit where I was.  I thought, I will use this as another opportunity to encourage her to play by herself.  I moved up to the Mac and she immediately began to amuse herself.  

It will just have be encouraged constantly throughout each day!

No comments:

Post a Comment